Friday, December 11, 2015

The Beauty of Aloha for Christmas

Day 0: To Oahu, Hawaii

In my early twenties, I was lucky enough to visit Hawaii twice in the weeks before Christmas. My friend Joanne had a sister who lived on the military base on Oahu and they kindly invited me (and our friend Tami on one trip) to join them for their holiday visit. I scraped together my pennies, and probably my credit card, and we exchanged cold, gray, rainy Seattle for a fragrant flower lei greeting, snorkling in Hanauma Bay, shorts weather, and watching the unforgettable Pipe Masters surfing competition. I remember it as a magical time, waking up to the sound of tropical birds and the smell of plumeria and basking in the not too hot sun. I didn't know very much about Hawaiian culture at the time, just enjoyed the moments.

Fast forward 16 years, with a family, two kids, a house near Portland and much more responsibility than before, the holidays have taken on an entirely different tempo for me. I typically start feeling a low grade buzz of stress in August, thinking ahead, trying to come up with some amazing plan to manage multiple family parties with cooking and presents and still carve out time for friends and our own family traditions. Add to that stressed out people on the roads and in the stores, including myself, inclement weather slowing everyone down, and the flus and colds that go around the chilly Pacific NW at this time of year, I find it challenging to remain peaceful. I sometimes become a person I don't like very much, charging around, hurrying to get things done, upset when things don't work out, with tyrannical flashes in the hours before a party. Someone recently commented to my daughter that she must have been caught up on her chores to attend a glass blowing class and she responded "Oh. There's no missing it when my mom goes commando." (That's boot camp commando, not underwear free commando.)

In times like these, I remember and appreciate and long for the spirit of Aloha that most locals in Hawaii embrace. While there is a deeper religious significance to the spiritual philosophy of Huna that I don't know enough to write about, at a more basic level Aloha seems to mean to live at peace with others and nature. To relax and chat instead of rushing around to get things done. To let someone go first instead of speeding up to pass them. To respect each other, to be kind, to take only what you need and share the rest. To be humble. To stop and smell the roses. It's what I want my life to look like, and to share with my kids. So, after a particularly busy and challenging holiday season last year, and a stressful year this year, I could not be more excited to introduce my family to Hawaii for Christmas. All of our shopping is done, presents wrapped, party food in the freezer and we are on our way to beautiful Oahu.

First sight:

Not sure what these beautiful trees are, but I hope to find out!



Looking towards the hills of Kualoa Ranch, where some of Jurassic Park was filmed. More on this later!



SE Ocean View, a stop off at one of many parks along the way to touch the ocean for the first time.

8 comments:

ruthyv said...

I really like that it's about stepping outside of the stress and just enjoying time together as a family. I hope you all have a wonderful time, and we look forward to sharing the best parts of the Christmas season with you.

snow71 said...

Awww.... sounds awesome! Yes low stress and good times..Enjoy every moment! !

Malia said...

I'm so happy for you! What a great lesson for the kids, too! Igrew up on Oahu, a few miles from Hanauma Bay, so a few quick thoughts, if I may? Stop at the beach where the turtles nest along the norh shore. Rainbow drive-inn. Leonard's Malasada-mobile. Body surfing at Kailua beach along with lots of relaxing with a book there. Those are my "must do" things when i go home. Enjoy! -Malia

Liz said...

Thank you Ruthyv and Snow! :) Malia, these look great! Thank you! Is Kailua beach park different from Lanikai? We have many beach days allotted so perhaps we'll try both,if so. My kids have fallen in love with body surfing so I know they will love it. We're staying on the North Shore, with the main goal to catch some Pipe Masters competition. Do you have a recommendation for a botanical garden or some place to go to learn about the trees on the island?

WildRedFreak said...

Oh man! I would love to get into that lovely ocean!! :D Have a great time guys!!!!!!

Liz said...

Thanks Jo!

Malia said...

Re: Botanical Gardens. Here's a really random little area to spend some time starting downtown, near the ocean, heading toward the Pali. (Or, do in reverse direction - doesn't matter.)

1. Iolani Palace (aka history of Hawaii, check for tours)
2. Walk to State Capital building (see if they have tours, the architecture is an interesting history lesson)
3. Drive to Foster Botanical gardens (http://www.friendsofhonolulubotanicalgardens.com/Foster.htm )
4. Drive to Lili'uokalani Botanical gardens (http://www.friendsofhonolulubotanicalgardens.com/Lili.htm )
5. Drive to Oahu Cemetary (sounds strange, but worth a wander since #6 is also worth the stop - has the grave of the guy who invented baseball and a few other interesting ones)
6. Royal Mausoleum (across the street from the cemetery - more important than the cemetery :-) )
7. Pali Loookout - best on windy, clear day.

Malia said...

I should have also included Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific - it's like the Arlington Cemetery of the West. Probably after the gardens is the most straightforward driving route.