Sunday, February 5, 2012

Patrick: Week 6: The Selva

Boo hoo hoo!  We're half way through!  I can't believe we've been on the road for 37 days.  Every now and then I think about home and work and then promptly remind myself that I still don't need to think about that for a while longer.

Our stay on Isla Mujeres was fantastic.  I was laughing to myself one night while sitting on the roof of our hotel sipping a 3 layer margarita with a bunch of Canadians that were singing along with the John Denver song that was playing on the speakers.  It was one of the last situations I expected when embarking on our trip.  In truth though I _really_ enjoyed the adult conversation with all the travelers that were staying there.  It was a breath of fresh air.  Being major introverts, Liz and I  hesitate to introduce ourselves and chat as much as others might.

I've been trying to branch out in the foods I try.  Some of my new breakfast favorites are Huevos Motulenos and Machaca con Huevos.  Mmmmm.  The breakfast spot across the street was the perfect place to experiment.

Liz (somewhat tentatively) jumped at the chance for a few kid free hours for 3 days to get her PADI Open Water SCUBA certification.  It was a bit of a crash course but she did awesome on all the book work and her confidence was increasing dramatically with each dive.  Now we're looking forward to doing some more dives together.

One of the highlights for me was doing a wreck dive on my birthday.  The wreck was named Barco C-58 and was the tail end of a WWII era ship that was sunk intentionally to create an artifical reef.  Besides seeing a ton of Eagle Rays, there was a big Barracuda, some large groupers (?) and a load of smaller fishies resting on the side protected from the current.  Later that day on Liz's second dive we got to chase a sea turtle around a little.  I love those guys!

Anyhow, now we're in Belize.  For the whole first day I had to keep reminding myself not to say 'hola' and 'gracias'.  They still slip out now and then.  Yesterday we got to meet some howler monkeys (who are awesome by the way.)  Today we're headed to the Belize City Zoo where we'll do a night tour.  After that it's into the jungle for some adventures that may or may not include: cave tubing, more mayan ruins (Caracol), visiting some beautiful waterfalls, checking out a butterfly ranch, and then a few days on "La Isla Bonita."

Pictured below:
Sofia "Puca" the wrestler
Otis helping out a local statue
Liz preping for her first dive
Patrick in Barco C-58
Underwater sights









No comments: