Monday, January 9, 2012

Liz: Day 11: Faith Laundry

Our first order of business today, after breakfast, was to drop off our laundry at la lavanderia de fe.  I like the name lavanderia. It suggests flowers and lovely scents, whereas laundry brings to mind loud machines, quarters and lint.  The actual lavanderia was not a fancy place, but the woman running it was kind. She heaved our bags up into a laundry basket attached to a scale and told us it would cost 240 pesos and would be done by 4. That's about $17. We had a lot of laundry, almost 7 kilos.  Did I mention that I love vacation?

That task accomplished we were free to pursue our second order of business, finding the chocolate shop ki'XOCOLATL.  When I held Sofia's hand to help her cross the street, I was surprised to feel that it was very hot.  I quickly did the mom fever check and she definitely had one.  A little while later she started complaining about not feeling well, which for her means she could be seriously ill.  We decided that Patrick would take the kids back while I checked out the chocolate shop and ran a couple errands.

One of my errands was tracking down some stationary/ notecards.  I have been regretting not having some on hand to write notes on for thank yous and exchanging information.  I checked two bookstores and two papelrias and did not find what I was looking for.  I did find the chocolate and it is good. Dark, real chocolate.  ki' XOCOLATL means "rich, dark chocolate" in Mayan.  One of the mixes they had was a bar with milk chocolate, almonds and oregano.

Fast forward to back at the room where Sofia had laid herself down for a nap, another worrying sign, and still had a big fever.  Patrick was the hero of the day, going out to get lunch, a thermometer and children's ibuprofen, telling me not to panic. Turns out her temperature was 102.9, but she responded really well to the medicine and started to perk up.  On top of all that, Patrick went down to the laundry with his back pack and hauled all of our clothes back in the heat.  I finally got around to looking up what lavanderia la fe means: faith laundry.  Does that mean you can have faith in that laundry? Or does it mean you need to have faith to use the laundry?  I think travelling with kids is travelling la fe.

Below are more pictures from our hotel, the terrace outside our door looking left and right, and the chocolate shop.





No comments: