Sunday, January 1, 2012

Liz: Day Three: "I poured my heart and soul into that pool."

Sofia would live in the pool if we let her.  I suspected that would be the case pre-trip and made sure to book as many of our hotels as possible with pools.  So this morning after breakfast and packing, we all headed down to the pool for one more go.  Well, everyone else took a dip and I enjoyed relaxing in the shade checking email and doing some research.  As we were leaving, she exclaimed "I love that pool! I love it more than all the other pools.  I poured my heart and soul into that pool."  So, if you're ever in Cancun and need a great place to stay overnight on your way to or from the airport, checkout the pool at the Courtyard Marriott.  It has Sofia's stamp of approval.  Also, they have a great breakfast buffet with unlimited freshly squeezed orange juice, which has Patrick's stamp of approval and they can recommend some amazingly mouthwatering Gallitos for delivery, which has my stamp of approval. As for Otis, upon arriving at our second hotel he said "They just keep leveling up their hotels here in Mexico. They just keep leveling up!"  That's video game lingo for getting better and better.  He is in hotel heaven, which is funny because our second hotel is much less fancy than the first.

Today we traveled out into a less touristy part of Cancun.  It was a holiday and Sunday, so many of the food places near our second hotel were closed. We decided to walk about 10 blocks to a big shopping center to buy groceries.  This was not one of the tourist focused shopping centers and it was refreshing and a little bit of a culture shock, especially at the grocery store.  We had to use our Spanish although several people approached us and asked if we were Americans and chatted in English a bit.  Hmm, what gave us away?  What surprised me was when I tried to find cheese for snacks, having a loaf of something like Tillamook cheddar in mind.  The cheese section was filled with very soft cheeses wrapped into thin stacks in plastic wrap.  I ended up trying a Gouda wrapped that way that was the texture of American processed cheese.  My culinary education has left me with a gap here!  I have a new mission to learn about Mexican cheese.  And I need to find someone to take me on a tour of a grocery store and show me what all the best foods are.  Speaking of quality food....while at the shopping center we also stopped by McDonalds and ordered dos cajitas feliz, two happy meals. 

When we returned to our rooms, as I was on the phone trying to communicate with my beginner Spanish skills, a travelling circus passed by right outside our windows.  Patrick tells me there were two zebras and a camel in a caged trailer and a man speaking into a megaphone loudly as it passed by.  I regret that I missed it as my imagination is probably wilder than reality and I'm having a hard time believing it actually happened (Patrick: Otis can corroborate.)

Tomorrow we will attempt to find the hotel's beach club via the public bus.  We are so looking forward to seeing the white sand and turquoise blue water.  We've been in Cancun three days and still haven't seen the beach!

Pictured below: Waiting to check into our room, FUD...from our grocery shopping excursion.




1 comment: