Friday, January 6, 2012

Liz: Day 7 & 8: "I'm a meatloaf already cooked!"

Yesterday was more of the same lounging in the beach chairs, playing in the pool, feeding the iguanas; very relaxing and wonderful but nothing new to report.  We tried a Mexican wine that was very good, one of the best red wines I've had in a while. There's something about drinking wine in it's native terroir alongside the foods that naturally accompany it that makes it special. When Patrick and I went to France ten years ago, we tried some reisling in the Alsace, right after a hike through the vineyards and it was so amazing. I could easily identify the diiferent aromas in it, whereas normally it's not that easy for me.  So we're going to try more Mexican wines when we have the chance. 

I'm looking forward to next week because we're going to tour a cacao plantation as well as visit a special chocolate shop in Merida.  A Dutch chocolatier moved to Merida and has combined his craft with the Mayan chocolate traditions and locally grown cacao beans to create a luscious chocolate shop.  Oh yes.  I will post pictures.  We have titled next week "The Cocina" because we're going to have some interesting food opportunities.  Cooking lessons showcasing Yucatecan food, chocolate, as well as a tour of the D'Aristi liquor factory, which produces a Mayan liquor Xtabentun as well as some Carribean style liquors.  One of my goals is to learn how to make my own tortillas.  

Today we successfully navigated ourselves downtown via bus to the ADO bus station to buy tickets for our bus ride to Merida next week.  I am feeling very thankful for the weekly Spanish lessons Patrick's sister Erin and her esposo Ulisses gave us in the months before we left.  They totally helped us today!  I had been worrying about it and it went smoothly.  Sofia got a little hot with all our walking and changing buses and said "I'm so hot. I'm a meatloaf already cooked."  Hilarious. I've made meatloaf about one time in her entire life.  Nothing against meatloaf, I love a good meatloaf.  I had a disastrous first attempt years ago before I knew how to cook and haven't gotten around to trying it lately.

One more thing, today is Epiphany, el dia de los reyes magos.  The day of the three kings.  Our hotel had a special celebration serving the traditional cake and hot chocolate.  I wish I would have thought to take a picture because it was very beautiful with colorful candied fruit and sugar sprinkled over it. It was also gone (in our room) in a very short time.  So, from Mexico, we wish you a happy Epiphany!

Below: Some really good hamburgers and, at long last, root beer. (We haven't found much root beer here.)



2 comments:

ruthyv said...

Love these pictures! Get one of them to get behind the camera once in awhile, though, Liz...

ruthyv said...

I get a stitch in my side laughing at what those two have to say!